According to the Center for Disease Control, about 1% of the world’s population has an autism spectrum disorder. It is estimated that more than 3.5 million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder. These are alarming statistic for anyone searching for a treatment for autism in NYC.
The group of developmental disabilities known as autism spectrum disorder or ASD is fast becoming an epidemic, increasing by 119.4% from 2000 to 2010. These disorders are often characterized by varying degrees of difficulty in social interaction and communication and by a tendency to engage in repetitive behaviors. Further, the CDC estimates that roughly 1 in 68 children has a form of autism and is almost five times more common among boys (1 in 42) than among girls (1 in 189).
The causes of autism or how it develops are still not fully understood, although many factors are involved. Each child may have a unique set of causes, as well as different factors which interact with one another to result in their specific set of symptoms. This is why targeted and individualized treatment protocols are paramount to successful treatment. The Kellman Wellness Center has one of the best autism doctors in New York and is here to guide you every step of the way.
- Toxins and heavy metals
- Gastrointestinal microbiome dysfunction
- Undiagnosed hypothyroidism
- Autoimmune condition
- Chronic and untreated autoimmune condition
- Abnormalities in the methylation pathways
- Coinfections, such as viral Lyme, parasites, etc.
ASD often presents through a wide range of symptoms and severity and they are often accompanied by other medical conditions. Common symptoms include the following:
- Communication issues
- Delayed speech development
- Inappropriate social interaction
- Learning disabilities
- Obsessive and/or odd behaviors such as hand flapping, rocking and/or spinning in circles
- Poor eye contact
- Repetitive behaviors
Often the absence of normal behaviors, rather than the presence of abnormal behaviors, is one of the earliest signs of autism.
At the Kellman Wellness Center, our focus is to address the underlying causes through a multi-pronged approach. We use a wide variety of targeted therapies designed to address each patient’s specific needs and symptoms. A treatment for one child could be of little use to another. We closely evaluate symptoms and test results to devise a customized treatment plan. Treatment plans are flexible; they can be modified as patients progress and improve. Treatments include:
- Therapies to improve genetic pathways and genetic expression
- Use of herbs and natural compounds to support and improve detoxification pathways
- Address underlying thyroid dysfunction
- Improve the gut microbiome through the use of targeted probiotics. Evidence shows that different probiotic strains improve the microbiome in a very specific way. For example, certain probiotic strains are crucial to addressing chronic inflammation, while others are more targeted in addressing cognitive and mental dysfunction.
- Evidence-based supplements
- Oxytocin nasal spray
- Immune modulation using peptide therapy and other natural compounds
- Methyl B12 and glutathione injections
- IV therapy
- Magnosphere to aid with stress reduction and brain balance
- Treatment of any other underlying infections and other medical conditions
- Nutrition / diet recommendations, namely a gluten-free and casein-free diet, as well as a focus on eating naturally anti-inflammatory foods.
Whether your child has been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder or you just suspect this may be the case, we can help. Call us today at 212-717-1112 to schedule your in-person or telemedicine appointment today.